Little North Mountain Vineyard in Swoope, Virginia & Hazy Mountain Vineyards in Afton, Virginia are hiring members to our 2020 growing season vineyard team. This is a great opportunity to gain valuable experience growing wine grapes in the beautiful Shenandoah and Monticello Valley’s. Both vineyards are expanding and currently have over 50 acres between both sites, with vines in their 1st - 5th leaf plus planting 20 additional acres this spring. This position is intended to work over the summer but additional work is available for the right candidate in our manufacturing facility for off-season work or when inclement weather hinders vineyard work. The ideal candidate will show ambition and the ability to move into more challenging permanent work. Opportunities for advancement are available for ambitious, hardworking candidates.
Why work for us? We can offer an exciting opportunity for the right candidates to gain hands-on knowledge in viticulture! Because this is a young vineyard, you will have the opportunity to work on and establish young vines from the ground up. The knowledge you gain will be invaluable while you pursue your career. We will also be offering an apprenticeship program for all of our vineyard staff with training materials and instructor provided by our team for your growth and success.
About the Position:
- Weekly pay
- Hands-on training
- Opportunities for advancement & additional education
- Application takes 5-10 minutes, receive feedback in 2 to 3 business days
- Specialized vineyard tasks to include: pruning, tying, suckering/shoot thinning, weeding, trellis maintenance, leaf & fruit thinning, and vineyard layout
- The operation of tractors and tractor implements in order to accomplish various vineyard practices such as mowing, spraying, trimming, etc.
- Operate light equipment such as weed eaters and backpack sprayers when necessary.
- Inspect tractor and/or other equipment before operation and be responsible for notifying supervisor when in need of service or repair.
- Calibrate and use agricultural spray equipment and perform necessary adjustments.
- Perform light equipment maintenance as directed.
- Apply canopy and herbicide sprays following established safety procedures and instruction.
- Perform various routine maintenance tasks such as trellis repair, hoeing, drainage repair, erosion control, site-preparation, etc.
- Follow safe operating procedures, maintain safety programs and policies to safeguard personal safety, company property, environmental and team member's safety.
- Operate ATV for transportation and scouting work.
- Must be a high school graduate or have GED.
- Previous experience in farm, vineyard or orchard work is preferred but not mandatory.
- Disciplined work ethic, accountability, and follow-through.
- Ability to work alone without constant supervision.
- Working conditions in certain areas of the vineyard are cold, hot, wet, windy, slippery. Must be comfortable in inclement weather
- Some vineyard work involves exposure to hazardous conditions.
- Frequently required to sit and drive for extended periods of time.
- Occasionally required to stand, stoop, kneel, and crouch.
- Frequent walking and bending is required.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Health Insurance - Company pays 75% of the monthly premiums for employees and their families
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Competitive vacation & holiday pay
- Supplemental insurance available (Aflac)
- 401(k) Retirement Plan - Company matches dollar-for-dollar up to 15%
- Short-term and Long-term disability
- Accidental death/dismemberment
- Life insurance
- Employee referral incentives
- Opportunities for advancement, professional development, training opportunities, and apprenticeship programs available
- Discounts on cell phone plans, rental vehicles, and other company discounts (if applicable)
- Travel, travel time, lodging, and per diem company paid